Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I Will Remember You

My Dad called me this morning to tell me my great Aunt Kay had died this morning. She was an amazing woman who lived a good long life. This phone call has me thinking about the many wonderful people I have known in my life who are no long living among us. I believe they live on in our hearts and our memories. I would not be who I am today without the many people who helped me along this journey...
Here are some remembrances of some of them.
My grandfather. He was so supportive of me, interested in my life, and a loving man. I remember summer vacations spent in their garden (wearing my boots, of course), eating at the picnic table, going to Sea World and fairs, riding on the sulky behind the lawn mower, and so much more.
My godparents. I adopted them as confirmation sponsors and godparents as a teenager. I loved these two people like they were my grandparents and they attended events for me that my grandparents couldn't. I was honored to participate in both of their funerals. What a wonderful way to celebrate the support they offered me on my faith journey.
Great Uncles and Aunt. Growing up I got to spend a good amount of time with the extended relatives on my Dad's side. I have fond memories of spending time at their houses, eating out with them, and learning about their lives. I cannot imagine my childhood without them.
My husband's Grandpa and Grandma. Sadly I only met his Grandma once. She was a dear woman. I love to hear stories about her and wish I had gotten to know her better. I got to spend more time with his Grandpa including this past Christmas when my husband tried to restrict Grandpa's candy eating. I stuck up for Grandpa and gave him a second piece. He enjoyed it.
There are so many others who have helped me grow into the person I am. Usually when I think of them, I smile and laugh at memories. On days like today it can be hard to remember without being a little sad that they are no longer here with me. I think of the important events they missed and the important people they never met. I cry a little and then offer prayers of thanksgiving for their lives and for having known them.

No comments:

Post a Comment