Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy. That's the Pentateuch of Moses.

I'd like to thank Bryan Sirchio for helping me learn the books of the Bible. When I need to find a hard to find book, I start singing one of his songs.

So, I decided at the end of 2009 to read through the Bible in a year. I've read through the Bible when I was younger. I don't remember how long it took me. I knew if I was going to make it through the Bible again I needed a deadline. So I came up with this read it through in one year idea. I realize this isn't a revolutionary idea. I could even buy a Bible to help me read the Bible in one year. Instead, I counted up the number of chapters in the Bible to see if this was even a reasonable idea. I don't remember how many chapters there are exactly, but I did find out that I needed to read about 3.5 chapters per day to stay on target.

So it is March 2nd and I have completed the Pentateuch and Joshua. Today I read 4 chapters in Judges which puts the chapter count up to 215. If you divide that by the 61 days so far in 2010, you will see that I have read 3.52 chapters per day.

For those of you who know me well, you will be sure to guess that I haven't read 3.52 chapters each day. More likely I have read chunks here and there when I couldn't put it down and struggled to read the 3 chapters a day when I found myself in a less fun part of the Bible.

So far this year, I've learned lots and rediscovered many things. I'm enjoying my journey back through a favorite book of books. I'll keep you updated on my progress throughout the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment