Tuesday, November 23, 2010

A Better Place to Be

Music has always had such an important place in my life.  There are songs I remember singing as a child before I knew what the words meant.  And songs I loved singing when I knew what the words meant.  One of them is Harry Chapin's, A Better Place to Be.
This song takes place in a bar and involves some average people living hard lives.  My favorite part has always been when the waitress says to the man, "I wish that I were beautiful or that you were halfway blind.  I wish I weren't so dog gone fat and I wish that you were mine.  I wish that you'd come with me when I leave for home cause we both know all about loneliness and living all alone."
I love his honesty in songwriting.  You can picture these two people having this conversation. They look like people I know.  People just trying to make it in this world.  They've had troubles, losses, sadness.  They've known joy, love, happiness, but it has been awhile and they are looking for the good times again. At some point, we've all been these two.  We may have handled it different, but we understand.  For those of us who aren't currently struggling with loneliness, be thankful.  For those of us who wish there was someone special in our lives, I lift up a prayer for comfort, support, and love!

No comments:

Post a Comment