Thursday, April 1, 2010

Let all mortal flesh keep silence

The Lenten season is ending. It does not go out without a bang. For more than 40 days, we have been anticipating this time. The season of Lent prepares us for Easter. In order for us to get to Easter, we have to live through Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, and Holy Saturday. Not the easiest time to live through and live in.
As I child I remember Good Friday as my favorite worship service of the year. This may strike some people as strange. I love the somberness and the silence while leaving. It was so different from any other day in the church year. You could feel it. I miss that now. The churches I've served since seminary have not had Good Friday services. They've celebrated Maundy Thursday in a variety of ways but never Good Friday.
I should mention that my home church didn't worship on Maundy Thursday, so it is not unusual for a congregation to select one or the other.
Over the years, I've found ways to observe and honor this time of year myself. I'm not sure I've found the perfect way or a way that I use more than one time. I lead worship this evening with the congregation. Tomorrow I'll be spending the day with friends. There will be some prayer and Scripture reading...maybe a worship service or maybe not. Saturday, I'm not sure how I'll spend it. I will try to spend time in the moment and not looking ahead to Sunday. Live in the struggle and sadness for a few days...

No comments:

Post a Comment